Sweet and Citrusy Red Cabbage
Carla Hall's Orange-Sauteed Red Cabbage
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large Red Onions (peeled and minced)
- 4 Garlic cloves (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt to taste
- freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- 2 heads Red Cabbage (quartered; thick stems removed;finely shredded)
- In a large casserole dish, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook five minutes more.
- Add the orange juice concentrate, maple syrup, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until the dressing is the consistency light syrup.
- Add the cabbage and continue to cook, tossing until the cabbage has wilted and is tender. Remove from the heat and pour into a large bowl. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.