Hearty Potato Gratin
Mario Batali's Potato Gratin with Black Truffles
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes (peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/8-inch thick slices)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 cups Heavy Cream
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
- 1 small Black Truffle
- 3/4 cup grated Emmentaler cheese
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Generously butter a gratin dish, or other shallow baking dish. Put the potatoes in the casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the cream in a heavy bottomed pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the Parmigiano and grate the nutmeg and half the truffle. Season the cream generously with salt and pepper.
- Carefully pour the cream on top of the potatoes and sprinkle on the emmentaler cheese. Grate more truffle on top and season with more pepper.
- Bake in the oven until the top is a deep golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let the potatoes cool slightly (this will help thicken the cream and set the gratin) for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve the potatoes and grate fresh black truffles over each serving.