The Creamiest Potato Gratin
Curtis Stone's Potato Gratin with Cauliflower Cream
- 2 tablespoons Salted Butter
- 1 medium Brown Onion (cut into thin slices)
- 3 Garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 5 sprigs Thyme
- 2 cups finely chopped Cauliflower Florets
- 2 cups Coles Thickened Cream (blue label)
- 2 cups Milk
- 3 1/2 ounces Camembert cheese (half wheel; cut into largepieces)
- 3 pounds Potatoes (sliced into 1/4-inch discs)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté butter, onions, garlic and thyme until soft, making sure not to get any color, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and cook for 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the cream and let come to the boil, then add milk and let come to the boil again. Add cheese, and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Once cheese has melted, remove from the heat, discard the thyme sprigs, season well with salt and pepper and transfer to a blender. Puree until creamy and smooth then pour back into the saucepot.
- Add your sliced potatoes to the pot and stir to warm and coat the potatoes. Pour 1 cup of the cooking liquid in 2 liter baking dish. Layer the potatoes in the dish to the top of the liquid. Follow with another cup of liquid and repeat the process until you fill in the dish.
- Place dish on a baking tray and in the oven covered for 1 hour or until a knife inserts easily into the potatoes. Remove dish from oven and raise heat to 400F. Remove foil and cook potatoes for another 10 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.