Classic Potato Pancakes
Clinton's Classic Potato Latkes
- 1 pound Russet potatoes (peeled and grated)
- 1/2 Cup onion (grated)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sour cream (store-bought)
- 1 cup creme fraiche (store-bought)
- 2 cups apple sauce (store-bought)
- 1 jar horseradish (store-bought)
- To a large bowl, half-filled with cold water, add the grated potatoes. Soak potatoes 1 to 2 minutes after last batch is added to water. In a colander, drain the potatoes.
- In a large bowl lined with a kitchen towel, add the potatoes and onion. Wring excess moisture from the potato mixture. Transfer mixture to a clean large bowl. Add egg and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, please a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Working in batches of 4 to 5 latkes, spoon 2 tablespoons potato mixture per latke into skillet. Use the back of a spoon to press into 3-inch rounds. Reduce heat to medium and cook until undersides are browned, about 5 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until golden brown on the other side and cooked through, about 5 more minutes. Transfer lakes to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.
- Serve latkes with sour creme, creme fraiche, apple sauce, and/ or horseradish on the side.