Savory Sausage and Cheese Puffs
Valerie Bertinelli's Seriously Good Sausage Bites
- Cooking Spray
- 10 ounces bulk Hot Italian Sausage
- 3 cups Self-Rising Flour
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco Sauce
- 1 1/4 cups grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F and arrange the racks in the upper and lower third of the oven. Coat two baking sheets with the cooking spray.
- Cook the sausage in a medium skillet over medium high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and no pink remains. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Combine the flour and butter in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal with some larger chunks of butter remaining. Drizzle in the buttermilk and tabasco and pulse just until the dough comes together. Turn the dough out into a large bowl and fold in the sausage and cheese. Using two spoons, shape the dough into walnut-size balls and drop on to the baking sheets.
- Bake, switching and rotating the pans halfway through baking until golden and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then use a spatula to remove and transfer to a platter. Bake the remaining sausage bites in the same manner.