Ground Beef Casserole with Vegetables and Mashed Potatoes
Christine's Shepherd's Pie
- 3 large Potatoes
- 8 tablespoons Butter
- 1 chopped Onion
- 1/2 pound sliced Mushrooms
- 1 bag of Frozen Peas and Carrots
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Round Beef
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 cup Beef Broth
- Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large frying pan. Sauté onion and mushrooms in butter until tender over medium heat, about 10 minutes. Add bag of peas and carrots until defrosted. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
- Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Add Worcestershire sauce. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.
- Mash potatoes in bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste.
- Place beef and onions in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the potatoes as well.
- Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown, about 30 minutes. Broil for a minute to get brown on top.