Steamed Cockles in Tomato Sauce
Mario Batali's Steamed Cockles with Red Chilis and Basil
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 Garlic Cloves (thinly sliced)
- 2 Red Chilis (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Flat-Leaf Parsley
- 2 pounds New Zealand Cockles
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 cup Basic Tomato Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 10 fresh Opal Basil Leaves (finely shredded)
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat the olive oil over high heat until almost smoking. Add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft and lightly browned. Add the chilis, half of the parsley, the cockles, wine, and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until all the cockles steam open, about 5 minutes. Discard any cockles that do not open.
- Season the broth with salt and pepper. Divide the cockles and broth evenly among warmed bowls and top with the remaining parsley and basil. Serve with bread.