Sweet Potato Pancakes
Sweet Potato Latkes with Cranberry Chutney
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (peeled and grated)
- 1/2 cup onion (grated)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup scallions (thinly sliced, plus more for garnish)
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen & thawed)
- 2 shallots (minced)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger (finely grated)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins 1/2 cup water
- To a clean kitchen towel, add the onion and sweet potato, and wring out all the excess liquid. Transfer the sweet potato mixture to large mixing bowl. Add an egg and scallions. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Place a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat and add oil. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of potato mixture and press into a 3-inch patty. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook on each side for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove latkes to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Cover with foil and keep warm while working. Garnish sweet potato latkes with a dollop of chutney and scallions.
- For the Cranberry Chutney: In a medium-sized pot, combine cranberries, shallots, sugar, vinegar, ginger, raisins and water, and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until the cranberries start to pop, about 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, until the mixture is thick. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.