Sweet Potato Pancakes
Carla Hall's Sweet Potato Latkes with Cranberry Chutney
- For the Pancakes:
- 1/2 cup grated Onion
- 2 pounds Sweet Potatoes (peeled and grated)
- 1 Egg (beaten lightly)
- 1/2 cup Scallions (sliced thinly plus more for garnish)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
For the Cranberry Chutney:
- 2 cup Cranberries (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 2 minced Shallots
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated Ginger
- 1/2 cup Golden Raisins
- 1/2 cup Water
- For the Pancakes: Put the onion and sweet potato in a kitchen towel and wring out all the excess liquid. Then, put them in a large mixing bowl and add the egg and scallions. Season well with salt and pepper.
- In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add about 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Scoop about 2 tablespoons worth of the potato mixture and press it into a 3-inch patty. Cook on each side for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Adjust heat to make sure the pan doesn't get too hot and burn the sweet potato latkes. Remove latkes from the pan and put on paper towel lined plates and sprinkle with salt. Keep covered with foil to keep warm. Add more oil to the pan if necessary and use up the remaining potato mix.
- For the Chutney: Combine all the ingredients in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the cranberries start to pop, about 12 minutes. Reduce the heat to a barely there simmer and cook for another 15 minutes longer, until the mixture is thick. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Serve the latkes with a dollop of chutney and a sprinkle of scallions for garnish.
Similar categories: Appetizers, Starters & Snacks