Try a slice of this sweet treat!
Carla Hall's Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 blind-baked pie crust
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk (scalded)
- 2 teaspons vanilla
- 3 tablepsoons butter (room temperature)
- 4 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt. In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar and butter until creamy. Gradually whisk in scalded milk and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour into blind-baked pie shell. Bake in 350F oven for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set.
- For Meringue: Whisk eggs whites, cream of tartar, sugar and salt together to soft peaks. Pile meringue over pie and bake at 350F until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes.