A delicious meringue-based dessert filled with whipped cream and fruit!
Carla Hall's Pavlova
- Preheat oven to 275F. Place rack in center of oven.
- With a balloon attachment of a standing mixer, whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt until frothy on medium speed. Mix the cornstarch and sugar. Pour in half the sugar mixture while continuing to whisk the eggs whites, about 3 minutes.
- With the mixer on high, gradually pour the remaining sugar mixture and mix until the whites are stiff, thick and shiny, 4 to 5 minutes. Pour in the lime juice and vanilla extract; mix in until completely incorporated.
- Remove bowl from mixer and stir in lime zest with rubber spatula.
- On a parchment covered sheet pan, spoon meringue into large mound. With the back of a large spoon, make an indentation in the middle of the mound to hold the fruit and cream when the meringue is baked.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the meringue is crisp on the outside and chewy and marshmallow-like on the inside. The meringue should be white, not tan.
- Gently lift from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- While meringue bakes, prepare cranberry orange compote. In a 3 quart pot, combine cranberries, 2 strips orange zest, sugar, orange juice, and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil. Add water if necessary. Cook for 20 minutes or until cranberries burst and mixture starts to thicken. Add more sugar if desired. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Section orange and cut into thirds. Stir into cranberry mixture.
- In a medium bowl mix cream and sugar. Whip until soft peaks form.
- Top each meringue with compote and whipped cream, and then garnish with mint.