Recreate this popular Chinese takeout dish at home!
General Tso's Chicken
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 4 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger (grated)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 pound broccoli (blanched)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 4 scallions (thinly sliced, green parts only)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- For the Sauce: in a large bowl, add the cornstarch and cold water and mix until smooth. Add the garlic, ginger, honey, soy sauce, Chinese rice wine and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- For the Chicken: in a separate large bowl, add the cornstarch, salt and pepper and mix to combine. Add the chicken and blanched broccoli. Toss to evenly coat.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Shake any excess coating off the chicken. Working in batches, cook the chicken and broccoli, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is golden-brown, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture to the pan with the chicken and broccoli. Toss to coat. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce has thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve chicken and broccoli over cooked white rice. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.