Clinton's childhood favorite!
Grandma Kelly's Pear Crunch Pie
- ½ cup sweetened coconut
- FOR THE FILLING:
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- Hearty pinch of salt
- ¾ cup cup of pear juice (not pear nectar)
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon butter
- FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM:
- 8 ounce heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon confectioners sugar
- dash of vanilla extract
- FOR THE GARNISH:
- cinnamon for dusting
- FOR THE CRUST: Combine all ingredients and bake at 350 degrees F on cookie sheet until golden brown (about 40-45 minutes). Check frequently to prevent edges from burning.
- FOR THE FILLING: Combine all ingredients in saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- In large bowl, beat 2 eggs. Add heated mixture to eggs, little by little to temper the eggs. Once eggs are tempered, transfer mixture back to saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract and return to a boil (approximately 1 minute). Pour warm mixture into prepared pie shell and chill in the refrigerator.
- FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM: Whip the heavy cream with the confectioners sugar and vanilla until it stiffens to whipped cream. Before serving, top with the whipped cream.
- TO GARNISH: Top with 6 pear halves and dust with cinnamon. NOTE: If pears aren’t ripe enough, use canned pears or poach pears in a simple syrup of equal parts sugar and water.