A Tasty Side Dish for the Holidays
Daphne Oz's Candied Yams
- 8 oz coconut oil
- 4 or 5 large fresh sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne paper (optional for spicy candied sweet potatoes)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Stab each sweet potato 10 times with a fork to allow for expansion. Place on a baking sheet lined with tin foil and allow to bake until tender, about 1 hour (shortcut: stab with fork and put at most three sweet potatoes at a time in the microwave for 10 minutes).
- Melt coconut oil and combine all other ingredients. Heat mixture over medium heat for two minutes to reduce. When the sweet potatoes are tender, split them down the center and drizzle with the butter and maple syrup mixture.