Flaky pastry surrounding a savory spinach-and-cheese filling.
Michael Symon's Spinach Phyllo Pies
- 3 tablspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion (minced)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup Pine Nuts (toasted)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1/2 cup Dill (chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 cup Cooked Spinach (drained and chopped)
- 1/2 cup Crumbled Feta
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 4 Sheets Phyllo Dough
- 6 tablespoons Butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large pan over medium heat, sweat onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add toasted pine nuts and chili flake and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in dill, then set aside and let cool.
- Add 2 cups of cooked spinach, 1/2 cup of crumbled feta, zest of 1 lemon, and salt to the base mixture and fold to combine.
- Cut phyllo in half long ways and cover with a damp paper towel.
- Brush piece of phyllo with butter and lay out long ways in front of you.
- Place 1 tablespoon of cheese mixture at the end closest to you and fold in half long ways. Begin folding into triangle brushing with butter after each fold.
- Repeat with remainder of dough.
- Bake on an ungreased sheet pan for 10 to 12 minutes.