One of Chef Marcus Samuelsson's favorite de-stress dishes is Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes. Try it yourself!
- step-by-step directions
- For the Meatballs:
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 pound ground chuck or sirloin
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 unsalted butter
- For the Sauce:
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup lingonberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons juice from Quick Pickled Cucumbers
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- For Serving:
- Garlic mashed potatoes (get the recipe here)
- Lingonberry preserves
- Quick Pickled Cucumbers
- PREPARE THE MEATBALLS: Combine the breadcrumbs and heavy cream in a small bowl, stirring with a fork until all the crumbs are moistened. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for about five minutes, until softened. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, veal, pork, onion, honey, and egg, and mix well with your hands. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the bread crumb-cream mixture and mix well. With wet hands (to keep the mixture from sticking), shape the mixture into meatballs the size of a golf ball, placing them on a plate lightly moistened with water. You should have about 24 meatballs.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs, in batches if necessary, and cook, turning frequently, for about 7 minutes until browned on all sides and cooked through. Transfer the meatballs to a plate and disregard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the skillet.
- PREPARE THE SAUCE: Return the skillet to the heat, whisk in the stock, cream, preserves, and pickle juice, and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the meatballs to the sauce, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for about five minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly and the meatballs are heated through. Serve hot with the mashed potatoes (get the recipe here), preserves, and pickled cucumbers.
Molasses Glazed Ham with Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits
Chocolate Peppermint Marshmallows
Peppermint Chocolate Torte
Fried Meatballs Stuffed with Mozzarella
Gingerbread Man Cookie Sandwiches
Perfectly Spiced Roast Chicken
Classic Holiday Brisket
5 Ingredient Crinkle Cookies
Polenta with Sausage Ragu and Fresh Mozzarella