Broccoli Rabe, Potato and Ricotta Ravioli
You might think that its difficult to make your own ravioli, but it's not. Simply follow Mario's straightforward steps for success.
- step-by-step directions
Broccoli Rabe, Potato and Ricotta Ravioli
- FOR THE FILLING
- 1 pound Fresh broccoli rabe (trimmed)
- 1 pound Waxy golden potatoes (such as Yukon Gold- peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh ricotta (drained)
- 1/2 cup Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (plus more for serving)
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Semolina flour (for dusting)
- 12 tablespoon Unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 15 Fresh Sage Leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Basic Pasta dough
- FOR THE BASIC PASTA DOUGH
- 3 1/2 cups All-purpose flour (plus 1/4 for dusting)
- 5 Extra-large eggs
- FOR THE FILLING: Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Set up an ice bath nearby.
- When the water is boiling, add 1 tablespoon salt. Then add the broccoli rabe and cook until very tender, about 6 minutes. Using a spider or a slotted spoon, transfer the rabe to the ice bath.
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and pass through a ricer or mash with a potato masher.
- Once the rabe is cooled, drain and pat it to dry. Chop the rabe until it is almost a paste (you can do this in the food processor).
- In a medium bowl, combine the rabe, potatoes, ricotta, Parmigiano, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to combine.
- Roll out the pasta dough to the thinnest setting on a pasta machine, using a good dusting of the semolina between the resting sheets to maintain a good separation. Cut the pasta sheets into 4-inch squares. Place a scant tablespoon of the ricotta filling on a one half of each square, and then fold it over like a book to enclose the filling, forming a rectangle. Press the edges of the ravioli with your fingers to seal them. (The ravioli can now be frozen between sheets of parchment, sprinkled with semolina, until ready to cook.)
- Bring 8 quarts of water to a boil. While the water is heating, heat the butter in a 14-inch sauté pan over high heat until the foam subsides and it begins to turn a light brown color. Add the sage and remove the pan from the heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons salt to the boiling water. Then add the ravioli, and cook until they are tender and cooked through (you should taste one to test it), about 3 minutes (a little more if frozen). Reserving 3 tablespoons of the cooking water, drain the ravioli. Add them to the pan containing the butter and sage. Add the reserved cooking water, and toss gently over high heat for 1 minute. Pour the hot ravioli onto a warmed platter, and serve immediately with Parmigiano grated over the top.
- FOR THE BASIC PASTA DOUGH: Mound the flour in the center of a large board. Make a well in the middle of the flour, and add the eggs to it. Using a fork, beat the eggs. Then gradually incorporate the flour, starting with the inner rim of the well. The dough will come together when half of the flour is incorporated. Keep working the dough until all the flour is incorporated.
- Start kneading the dough with both hands. Once you have a cohesive mass, remove the dough from the board, and scrape up and discard any leftover bits. Lightly flour the board and continue kneading for 6 more minutes. (You can do the whole dough process in a food processor, with a little less of the romance but a very similar result: Place the flour and the eggs in the bowl of the processor and pulse 15 times for 6 seconds at a time.) the dough should be elastic and a little sticky. Wrap it in plastic wrap and allow it to rest at room temperature for 50 minutes. Do not skip the kneading or resting portion of this recipe. (The wrapped dough can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 day.)
Similar categories: Ingredients Pasta Ravioli Potato Courses & Meals Dinner Pizza & Pasta Cuisine Italian
Peach Cobbler with Raspberry Coulis
Havarti and Horseradish Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Spicy Honey Dijon Coleslaw
Spice-Rubbed Smoked Chicken
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Banana Split Ice Cream Cupcake Bar
T-Bone Steak with Green Bean Salad
Ginger Cinnamon Funnel Cakes
Strawberry Malted Milkshake
Cheddar Pretzel Chicken with Spicy Corn Relish
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers with Feta Bechamel