A festive Christmas dish!
Mama T's Zuppa Di Clams
- 18-24 littleneck clams (cleaned)
- about 1/3 cup olive oil
- about 1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 can anchovies (small flat no oil)
- 6-7 fresh basil leaves
- 1 handful minced fresh parsley
- dried oregano (to taste)
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 cup good white wine
- 2 cups water
- italian bread
- Heat oil in a saute pan. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion wilts.
- Add anchovies, basil, parsley and oregano. Stir about 5 minutes, as anchovies break up and blend into everything.
- Than add tomato paste, wine and water. Stir, then simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add clams. Stir with wooden spoon. Cover and shake every now and then until clams over, 2-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer clams to bowl. Serve with plenty of good italian bread to Sop up the juices.