This delicious rice dish is the perfect addition to any meal.
- step-by-step directions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sweet Italian sausage (about 4 ounces, removed from casing)
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 3 cups chicken stock (warmed)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus more for seasoning)
- 8 ounce fresh mozzarella (cut into 1/4” cubes)
- 1 cup finely ground breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Break the sausage into small pieces, add to the pan, and brown on all sides. Add the onion along with ½ teaspoon salt and cook for 2 minutes. Add the rice and toast for 1 minute, stirring with a wooden spoon. Reduce the heat to medium and add the chicken stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly so the rice releases its starch. Continue to add stock until the rice is tender and the risotto is creamy. This should take about 15 minutes. When the rice is cooked through, pour the mixture into a bowl and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- When the rice mixture is cool, remove it from the refrigerator and add the egg, egg yolk, parmesan, and ½ teaspoon of salt. It is easier to form the arancini with damp hands, so keep a small bowl of water nearby. With damp hands, form balls of about 2 tablespoons of rice mixture. With your thumb, make an indentation in the center and place about 1 teaspoon of the diced mozzarella in the center. Close up the indentation by reforming the rice around the mozzarella to keep it inside. You should get about 16 arancini. Store in the refrigerator until ready to bread and cook, up to 1 day.
- Heat up the oil in your deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, coat the arancini in the breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess. Immediately drop into the preheated oil and deep fry until very golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and lightly season with salt. Serve with your favorite tomato sauce and enjoy!
Peach and Sriracha Chicken Over Coconut Rice
Quinoa and Shrimp Medley
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Roasted Carrots and Chickpeas with Feta Vinaigrette
Lemon Chicken with Charred Pea Salad
Rhubarb Filled Pound Cake
Asparagus Vichyssoise with Shrimp Salad
German Potato Salad
Spicy Turkey Lime Soup
Korean BBQ Tacos
Polenta Souffle with Pecorino and Black Pepper