A delicious Middle Eastern dessert!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 pound melted butter
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup ground graham crackers
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 pound phyllo dough
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 to 8 ounces honey
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a rimmed baking sheet 9"x13" baking dish with melted butter.
- In the base of a food processor, combine the nuts, graham crackers and cinnamon. Pulse until finely ground. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough onto the greased baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, coat the top with melted butter. Repeat process with 9 more sheets of phyllo dough. Spread an even layer of 1/4 of the nut mixture on top of the buttered phyllo layers. Continue layering and buttering 4 more sheets of phyllo dough on top of the nut mixture. Spread another even layer of 1/4 of the nut mixture on top. Continue layering and buttering 4 more sheets of phyllo dough on top of the nut mixture. Spread another even layer of 1/4 of the nut mixture on top. Continue layering and buttering 4 more sheets of phyllo dough on top of the nut mixture. Use the last 1/4 of the nut mixture and top with 10 layers of buttered phyllo dough sheets. Finish the top layer with plenty melted butter to coat.
- Before baking, cut pastry in a diamond pattern. Place in the oven to bake for 1 hour on the lower rack, or until golden brown.
- For the Syrup: In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, honey and water. Place over medium-high heat. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Add the lemon juice and boil for a few more minutes. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Remove Baklava from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour the warm Syrup over the warm Baklava. Allow Baklava to soak for 6 hours or overnight.
- Tip: The pieces can be frozen after all the syrup has been absorbed.
Grilled Lamb Chops and Plums with Mint Pesto
Red Velvet Cannoli Cake
Grilled Soy Chicken Thighs with Honeydew Relish
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Banana Split Ice Cream Cupcake Bar
T-Bone Steak with Green Bean Salad
Lamb Ribs with Shaved Asparagus, Mint and Feta Salad
Grilled Japanese Eggplant with Fresh Tomato Sauce
Vegetable Lo Mein