A delicious Middle Eastern dessert!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 pound melted butter
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup ground graham crackers
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 pound phyllo dough
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 to 8 ounces honey
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a rimmed baking sheet 9"x13" baking dish with melted butter.
- In the base of a food processor, combine the nuts, graham crackers and cinnamon. Pulse until finely ground. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough onto the greased baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, coat the top with melted butter. Repeat process with 9 more sheets of phyllo dough. Spread an even layer of 1/4 of the nut mixture on top of the buttered phyllo layers. Continue layering and buttering 4 more sheets of phyllo dough on top of the nut mixture. Spread another even layer of 1/4 of the nut mixture on top. Continue layering and buttering 4 more sheets of phyllo dough on top of the nut mixture. Spread another even layer of 1/4 of the nut mixture on top. Continue layering and buttering 4 more sheets of phyllo dough on top of the nut mixture. Use the last 1/4 of the nut mixture and top with 10 layers of buttered phyllo dough sheets. Finish the top layer with plenty melted butter to coat.
- Before baking, cut pastry in a diamond pattern. Place in the oven to bake for 1 hour on the lower rack, or until golden brown.
- For the Syrup: In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, honey and water. Place over medium-high heat. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Add the lemon juice and boil for a few more minutes. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Remove Baklava from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour the warm Syrup over the warm Baklava. Allow Baklava to soak for 6 hours or overnight.
- Tip: The pieces can be frozen after all the syrup has been absorbed.
rate this recipe
Grilled Greens Salad
Lightened Up Chickpea and Mushroom Meatball Platter
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Poblano Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese Cream
Not Your Mama's Pigs in a Blanket
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)
Pan-Seared Salmon with White Wine Butter Sauce, Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
Roasted Chicken and Pimento Mac and Cheese