A delicious Middle Eastern dessert!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 pound melted butter
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup ground graham crackers
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 pound phyllo dough
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 to 8 ounces honey
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a rimmed baking sheet 9"x13" baking dish with melted butter.
- In the base of a food processor, combine the nuts, graham crackers and cinnamon. Pulse until finely ground. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough onto the greased baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, coat the top with melted butter. Repeat process with 9 more sheets of phyllo dough. Spread an even layer of 1/4 of the nut mixture on top of the buttered phyllo layers. Continue layering and buttering 4 more sheets of phyllo dough on top of the nut mixture. Spread another even layer of 1/4 of the nut mixture on top. Continue layering and buttering 4 more sheets of phyllo dough on top of the nut mixture. Spread another even layer of 1/4 of the nut mixture on top. Continue layering and buttering 4 more sheets of phyllo dough on top of the nut mixture. Use the last 1/4 of the nut mixture and top with 10 layers of buttered phyllo dough sheets. Finish the top layer with plenty melted butter to coat.
- Before baking, cut pastry in a diamond pattern. Place in the oven to bake for 1 hour on the lower rack, or until golden brown.
- For the Syrup: In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, honey and water. Place over medium-high heat. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Add the lemon juice and boil for a few more minutes. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Remove Baklava from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour the warm Syrup over the warm Baklava. Allow Baklava to soak for 6 hours or overnight.
- Tip: The pieces can be frozen after all the syrup has been absorbed.
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits