A secret family recipe!
Michael Symon's Mom's Lasagna
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- Kosher Salt
- 1 pound Pork Neck Bones (optional)
- 1 pound Ground Pork
- 1 pound Ground Veal
- 1 pound Spicy Italian Sausage (loose or removed from casing)
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 2 28- ounce can San Marzano Tomatoes (with their juice)
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 pound Dried Lasagna Noodles
- 2 pound Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1/4 cup Chopped Fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley Leaves
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1/4 cup Fresh Oregano Leaves
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 pound Fresh Mozzarella Cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and a three-finger pinch of salt and sweat them until they're translucent, 2 minutes.
- Add the neck bones and brown them, about 5 minutes. Add the ground veal and beef and sausage, season with another healthy pinch of a salt, and continue cooking until the meat is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the white wine, tomatoes, and their juice, and the bay leaves, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon, making sure to get all of the browned bits into the sauce. Season the sauce with salt and simmer for 2 hours over medium heat. Remove the bay leaves and neck bones and let cool. Skim any fat that rises to the surface.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add enough salt so that it tastes seasoned and allow the water to return to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mix together the ricotta, parsley, basil, oregano and eggs with a pinch of salt.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a lasagna pan - 9 by 13 is optimal - drizzle olive on the bottom of the pan. Arrange a layer of noodles on this followed by a layer of sauce and then some of the ricotta mixture, smoothing it with a spatula to the edges. Repeat the process until the pan is full. Finish with a final layer of noodles, sauce, the mozzarella, and parmesan.
- Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake from 30 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.