Rich, meaty, and hearty!
Roasted Dates with Pancetta, Almonds and Chile
- 2 cups Pitted Dates
- 3 oz Pancetta finely diced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup Sliced Almonds
- 1 teapsoon Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespon Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Chopped fresh flat-leaf Parsley Leaves
- 1/2 cup Maytag Bleu Cheese
- French Baguette sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slices and toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Put the dates on a small rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven until heated through, about 5 minutes. Turn off the oven but leave the dates in there while you cook the pancetta.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, cook the pancetta until it is three-quarters crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the almonds and continue cooking until they brown, a few minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or so. Add the red pepper flakes and stock and bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the butter, stirring continuously until the butter is melted. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
- Add the dates to the pan and swirl and toss them in the sauce.
- Spread the bleu cheese over the crostini, top with the dates and spoon sauce over them to serve.