This easy to make classic is one not to miss!
Hot Fried Chicken Sandwich
- For the Chicken
- 5 chicken thighs (boneless; skin on)
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (or to taste; optional)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
For the Slaw
- 1 head green cabbage (core and outer leaves removed; sliced thinly)
- 1-2 jalapenos (cut into thin rings)
- 1 small red onion (sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup pickles (julienned)
- 1 carrot (finely julienned)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon ,ustard
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the Sandwiches
- 5 potato rolls (sliced in half)
- sweet pickles
- cilantro (leaves picked)
- spicy mustard
- For the Chicken: Add the buttermilk to a glass or ceramic mixing bowl and add the hot sauce. Whisk in the chipotle powder, paprika, and garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken. Put the flour in a small casserole dish and season with salt and pepper. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, one piece at a time, and dredge in the flour. Place on a resting rack set in a sheet tray. After all the pieces are dredged, dip them back in the buttermilk and dredge a second time.
- Place a large cast iron pan, filled about 1 1/2 inches high with oil, over medium high heat and bring up to 350 degrees F. Add the chicken, working in batches if necessary, and cook until golden brown, turning as needed so as not to over brown. The thighs should be done in around 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oil and place on a resting rack set within a sheet tray. Season with salt.
- For the Slaw: Add the cabbage, jalapeno, onion, pickles, cilantro, and carrot to a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, add the mustard, mustard seeds, celery seeds, pickle juice, red wine vinegar and honey. Whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and then taste and adjust.
- For the Sandwiches: Smear the potato rolls with spicy mustard, add a large spoonful of slaw and top with a piece of chicken. Top wi th the bun and serve while still warm.
- Quickly dip the chicken in the buttermilk, rather than soaking it overnight, to ensure a tender piece of chicken.
- After flouring the chicken, allow time for the flour to adhere to the chicken thighs to prevent the crust from falling off when frying.
- Season the fried chicken with salt immediately after frying.
- For the slaw, use whatever pickles you desire. Sweet, sour, or spicy would all be delicious.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Spicy Chicken Dishes Chicken Sandwiches Fried Chicken Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken