This cornbread is the perfect addition to your southern feast!
Hot Water Cornbread
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno (finely chopped)
- 2 eggs
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the corn meal, baking powder and flour, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, add the water and place over medium-high heat. Bring the water to a boil. Add the butter, shortening and salt, and stir to melt and combine. Add the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan and a film forms on bottom of pan, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for a 2 minutes. Add the jalapeno and the eggs, one at a time, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon.
- Stir for an additional minute to incorporate air.
- Using two tablespoons, make golf ball sized pieces of batter and flatten into discs. Working in batches, drop the batter into the preheated oil. Using a spider, remove fritters to a paper towel-lined plate. Let cool slightly before serving.