Apple Pecan Confection
The Lee Bros. Charleston Kitchen's Huguenot Torte
- Unsalted Butter for greasing dish
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/3 cups Sugar
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Granny Smith Apple (cored; peeled and diced; 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped Pecans
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons Whole Buttermilk or Sour Cream
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until they're creamy and frothy. Add the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, apple, pecans, and vanilla, whisking to combine after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top of the torte is crusty. Remove the torte from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Whip the cream with the buttermilk until stiff peaks form. Cut into individual portions - they will be lumpen and misshapen, with shards of crust and spoonfuls of ooze, but no matter - and serve with dollops of the whipped cream.