Mario Batali's 100 Layer Lasagna
100 layers of deliciousness!
- step-by-step directions
Mario Batali's 100 Layer Lasagna
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions (finely chopped)
- 4 ribs celery(finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (finely chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 pound ground pork
- 4 ounces pancetta (ground)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (leaves only)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil(separated into 2 tablespoons and a 1/2 tablespoon)
- 1 cup freshly gratedPargmigiano Reggiano
- For the Besciamella: In a medium saucepan, heat the butter until melted. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat until golden brown, about 6 to 7 minutes. In a separate pan, heat the milk until just about to boil. Add the milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth, and bring to a boil. Cook 30 seconds longer and remove from the heat. Season with salt and nutmeg. Yield: 2 cups
- For the Ragu Bolognese: In a 6- to 8- quart heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic and cook until the vegetables are translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the veal, pork, and pancetta, increase the heat to high, and brown the meat, stirring frequently. Add the tomato paste, milk, wine, and thyme and bring just to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Season the ragu with salt and pepper, remove from the heat, and let cool.
- For the Pasta: Mound 3 1/2 cups of the flour in the center of a large wooden cutting board. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs and olive oil. Using a fork, beat together the eggs and 1/2 tablespoon oil and bring to incorporate the flour starting with the inner rim of the well. As you expand the well, keep pushing the flour up from the base of the mound to retain the well shape. Do not worry that this initial phase looks messy. The dough will come together when half of the flour is incorporated. Start kneading the dough with both hands, using the palms of your hands. Once you have a cohesive mass, remove the dough from the board and scrape up and discard any leftover crusty bits. Lightly re-flour the board and continue kneading for 6 more minutes. The dough should be elastic and a little sticky. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. Yield: 1 pound
- Divide the dough into 8 portions. Roll each one through the pasta machine at the very thinnest setting. Lay the pasta on a lightly floured work surface, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the sheets even thinner, about half as thin as before. Let dry about 5 minutes, and then cut into 10 inch by 5 inch pieces.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Set up an ice bath next to the stovetop, adding 2 tablespoons olive oil to the water. Drop the pasta into the boiling water, cooking until tender, about 1 minute. Remove to ice bath then drain on kitchen towels, laying the pasta flat.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Assemble one layer of pasta in a 10-by-20-inch lasagne pan. Spread a layer of besciamella over the bottom and top with a sprinkling of parmigiano, a layer of pasta, a layer of ragu, a sprinkling of parmigiano, and pasta. Repeat to end with 33 layers of pasta, 33 layers of ragu, and 34 layers of besciamella, so that the final layer is pasta, topped with besciamella and sprinkled with parmigiano.
- Bake the lasagne in the oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Tip: TO MAKE THE 100 LAYER VERSION, YOU WILL NEED THREE BATCHES OF EACH COMPONENT.
Pork and Beef Meatballs
Savory Rye French Toast with Corned Beef Hash and Cheddar Onion Butter
Paella with Chorizo, Shrimp, Calamari, Mussels, Green Peas, and Curry Butter
Strawberry Linzer Cheesecake
Ricotta Gnudi with Brown Butter and Sage
BBQ Pork Dumplings
Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs with Shaved Carrot Salad
Kandi's Creamed Corn
Classic German Chocolate Cake
Almond Braised Chicken Thighs with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts