Three Cheese Grilled Sandwiches
Mario Batali's Italian Grilled Cheese Sammies
- 8 slices America-style Sandwich Bread (crusts removed)
- 4 ounces Fontina (grated)
- 1 pound fresh Mozzarella di Bufala (cut into four 3-by-4 inch squares)
- 4 Eggs plus 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1/4 cup Pecorino (grated)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Top each of the slices of bread with an ounce of fontina and a piece of mozzarella. Cover with the 4 remaining slices of bread to form sandwiches.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and the yolks together. Add the milk, thyme, pecorino and salt, and mix until well blended. Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture one by one to coat, and set aside.
- In a 12- to 14-inch nonstick saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until smoking. Place 2 sandwiches in the pan and cook slowly until golden brown on the first side, about 2 minutes. Flip each sandwich and cook on the other side for 2 more minutes.
- Remove sandwiches and set aside in a warm oven. Repeat the process with the remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately.