Italian Sausage with Balsamic Onions and Mushrooms
Curtis Stone's Italian Sausage and Cheese Roll
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 600 grams (1 2/3 cups) Italian Sausage (sliced lengthwise and then cut in 2-inch pieces)
- 2 medium Brown Onions (cut in medium slices)
- 3 Garlic cloves (chopped finely)
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Capsicums (one red and one green; cut in medium slices)
- 2 cups Mushrooms
- 4 Long Rolls
- 200 grams (7 ounces) Jarlsberg Cheese (grated or sliced)
- 2 tablespoons Mustard
- Pre heat oven to 200C. In large saucepan over medium high heat, place 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, turning once. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add remaining olive oil. Add onions and cook until soft and lightly browned. Add balsamic vinegar and cook until liquid has evaporated. Add peppers and garlic and cook another 7 minutes or until the peppers are done. Add mushrooms and cook until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Season to taste. To the onions and peppers, add the sausage and mix.
- Slice the roll down center and spread one half of each with 1/2 teaspoon mustard. Divide the cheese between the four and sprinkle on the side with the mustard. Place under broiler for a few minutes just to slightly toast and melt the cheese. Remove the rolls from the oven and fill each one with the sausage and onion mixture. Slice in half and serve.