Dominique Williams-Blair's Jamaican Chicken Stuffed Pastries
- For the Pastries:
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Curry Powder
- 1 dash Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter (cold)
- 1/3 cup Cold Water
- 1 Egg (beaten for wash)
For the Filling:
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound Chicken Breast
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Curry Powder
- 2 teaspoons Dried Thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Allspice
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs (recipe below)
For the Bread Crumbs:
- 2 slices toasted Wheat Bread
- 1 teaspoon Wheat Germ
- 1/4 cup Shredded Wheat Cereal
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F . (Bread can be toasted in oven during the preheat.)
- For the Pastries: In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, curry powder, and pinch of salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Roll the dough into a log, sectioning it off into about one half (for easier handling). Roll each section flat (approximately 1/8 inch thick) & use a cookie cutter to cut out desired circles. Repeat until all dough is used. Set aside all cut circles in an airtight container to prevent drying out.
- For the Filling: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in chicken breasts. Season with 1 teaspoon curry powder, onion powder, thyme, allspice, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cook until chicken is evenly golden, stirring constantly. Shred chicken breasts.
- Stir in chicken broth, cayenne, red pepper flakes and bread crumbs. Simmer until liquid is fully absorbed. The filling will look a bit like "stuffing". Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- Spoon equal amounts of filling into each pastry circle. Lightly moisten inside edges of pastries with a few dabs of water, fold edges over and press together, making a half circle. Use a fork to press edges, and brush the top of each pastry with beaten egg.
- Place pastries on a baking pan lined in parchment paper. Bake in oven for 15 minutes, then add another coating of the beaten egg to pastries. Bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- For the Bread Crumbs: Combine the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it reaches your desired texture.
1. Brush a little water on the edges of the pastry to keep it from opening.
2. For a healthy addition, she adds shredded wheat cereal to the shredded chicken!
Similar categories: Dinner