Michael Symon's Jambalaya
An easy Cajun recipe!
- step-by-step directions
Michael Symon's Jambalaya
- 1/2 pound Andouille Sausage or Polish Kielbasa (Sliced)
- 1/2 pound Chicken Thighs (Bone-In)
- 1/2 pound Shrimp (Peeled and Deveined with tails removed)
- 3 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne
- Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cup Onion (small diced)
- 1 cup Celery (Small Diced)
- 1 cup Green Bell Pepper (Small Diced)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 1 Large Jalapeño (seeds and ribs removed and then minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 14 1/2 ounces Can Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup White Rice
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Lemon (Juice and Zest)
- 1/2 cup Scallions (Sliced Finely)
- Hot Sauce for Garnish
- Place the chicken in a mixing bowl and place the shrimp in another mixing bowl. Mix together the smoked paprika and cayenne. Add 1 tablespoon of this mixture to the chicken and 1 tablespoon to the shrimp along with some salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside the chicken and refrigerate the shrimp, as it is not used until later. Set aside the rest of the spice mixture.
- Place a Dutch oven over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with the sausage. Sear the sausage until it is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the sausage to a plate, then add the chicken with another tablespoon of olive oil. When the chicken is seared on all sides, remove it to a plate.
- Then add 2 tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan. Add the onion, celery, and green pepper with a large pinch of salt and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, and then add the garlic and jalapeno. Cook, stirring occasionally, for another 3 minutes.
- Next add the rest of the smoked paprika mixture, the chili flakes, tomatoes, chicken stock, Worcestershire and rice. Add the sausage and chicken back to the pot. Stir and add the bay leaves. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 12 minutes. In the meantime, take your shrimp out of the refrigerator to take the chill off.
- After 12 minutes, remove the lid and stir gently, then fold in the shrimp. Turn the heat off, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes. After ten minutes, add the scallion and the lemon juice and zest and any additional salt and pepper if needed. Spoon into bowls and garnish with your favorite hot sauce.
German Potato Salad
Spicy Turkey Lime Soup
Korean BBQ Tacos
Polenta Souffle with Pecorino and Black Pepper
Maple Bacon Cupcakes
Buttermilk Roasted Chicken with Baby Arugula Salad
Strawberry Raspberry "Napoleons"
Lightened Up Turkey Patty Melt
Patty Melt with Sauerkraut
The World's Best Baked Ziti
Grilled Mortadella and Goat Cheese Packets