Comedienne/talk show host Joy Behar shares her ultimate lasagna recipe.
- 1/2 box Lasagna Noodles
- 1 cup Chopped Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 1/2 lbs Sweet Italian Sausage (removed from casings)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 28 oz can Crushed Italian Tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can Tomato Paste
- 1 16 oz jar Marinara Sauce
- 1/4 cup Fresh Oregano
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt
- 3/4 teaspoons Pepper
- 1 lb Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese (freshly grated)
- 1 extra large Egg
- 1/4 cup Chopped Parsley
- 1 lb Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese (freshly grated for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and position the oven rack in the middle.
- To make the meat sauce, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and stir for one more minute.
- Then add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until fully cooked and no longer pink.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, marinara sauce, tomato paste, oregano, basil, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Soak lasagna noodles in hot tap water.
- While the sauce is simmering, make the cheese filling. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, 1 cup of Parmesan, the beaten egg, chopped parsley, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Ladle one third of the meat sauce into a 9”x 12”x 2” casserole or baking pan. Spread the sauce over the bottom of the dish.
- Then add approximately half the pasta (in one layer, cover the sauce with the noodles), half the sliced mozzarella, half the cheese mixture, and one third of the sauce.
- Add another single layer of noodles, mozzarella, ricotta, and the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling.