Fabio Viviani's Lazy Meatballs
- Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (small diced)
- 3 Garlic cloves (sliced thinly)
- 1 tablespoon Fennel Seeds
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Beef or Chicken Stock
- 2 cups fresh pureed Tomato
- 6 Sausage Links (cut in to meatball-size pieces)
- 1 bunch fresh Basil
- Place a heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat and add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil shimmers and is hot, add the onions and garlic to the pan and toss to coat. Add the fennel seeds. Season with a large pinch of salt. Cook for 8 to10 minutes, or until the onions just begin to soften.
- Add the stock, and with a wooden spoon, scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the tomato sauce to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for about 5 minutes more.
- Add the sausage into the tomato sauce and simmer until fully cooked, about another 10 to 12 minutes. Once the tomato sauce has reduced and is thick, adjust seasoning.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan and a handful of torn basil. Serve with hot crusty bread.