Leg of Lamb with Roasted Potatoes
This year treat your family to a delicious leg of lamb for Easter. It's simple to make and will be an immediate hit.
- step-by-step directions
Leg of Lamb with Roasted Potatoes
- For the Leg of Lamb:
- 6 Shallots (minced)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Rosemary
- 1/4 cup Fresh Oregano
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Coriander Seeds (toasted and crushed)
- 1 tablespoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 6- For the Roasted Potatoes: pound For the Roasted Potatoes: Bone-in Leg of Lamb For the Roasted Potatoes:
- Nonstick vegetable cooking oil spray
- 4 pounds Unpeeled Fingerling Potatoes (rinsed and halved lengthwise)
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 6 tablespoons Fresh Chopped Dill
- 4 teaspoons Finely grated Lemon Peel
- 24 Garlic Cloves (sliced)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
For the Tzatziki Sauce:
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt
- 1 Cucumber
- Kosher Salt
- Juice and Zest of 2 Lemons
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Mint
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Minced Shallot
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- For the Leg of Lamb: Mix together in a medium bowl the shallots, garlic, rosemary, oregano, sugar, coriander, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Rub the mixture all over the surface of the lamb. Place in a large glass baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the lamb from the baking dish, rinse off the seasonings, and pat dry. Let the lamb sit a room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat a roasting pan or large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the lamb and brown on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the lamb, fat side up, to a roasting rack set into a roasting pan. If you have extra rosemary lay the sprigs over the lamb with a drizzle of olive oil over the top. Roast until the lamb reaches an internal temperature of 140F, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the lamb from the pan and set it aside to rest for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
- For the Potatoes: Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375°.
- Spray 2 large rimmed baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- Toss potatoes with 1/2 cup olive oil in large bowl. Sprinkle generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread potatoes in single layer on baking sheets, dividing equally. Roast 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, dill, and lemon peel in small bowl to blend for dressing.
- Toss garlic and 2 tablespoons dressing in another small bowl. Divide garlic mixture between baking sheets with potatoes and toss; reverse baking sheets and continue to roast until potatoes are tender and brown around edges, about 15 minutes longer.
- Toss roasted potatoes in large bowl with enough of remaining dressing to coat and serve.
- For the Tzatziki Sauce: Put the yogurt in cheesecloth-lined strainer and set over a bowl and let drain for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Peel and dice the cucumber, sprinkle it with salt and place in a strainer at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours to drain.
- Stir together the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice and zest, mint, garlic, and shallot in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Similar categories: Ingredients Lamb Courses & Meals Dinner Holidays & Occasions Easter Techniques Roasting
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat