Ginger Cookies with Lemony Filling
Carla Hall's Lemon Gingersnap Sandwich
- 1/2 cup Butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 cup Confectioner's Sugar
- 1 Lemon (zest)
- pinch Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrap down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Beat in the egg until fully incorporated then add the molasses and stir to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and stir just until incorporated. Do not over mix. Portion the dough into 4 and roll each into 3/4-inch logs. Chill dough for 1 hour.
- On a floured work surface using a floured rolling pin, roll dough out to 1/8-inch thickness. Use a 1-inch cookie cutter to cut out cookies. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet, two inches apart. Bake for 10 to12 minutes or until almost crisp. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread a teaspoon of filling onto half of the cookies and place a second cookie on top to sandwich. Chill 30 minutes before serving.
- For the Filling: Beat together the butter, sugar and salt until fluffy. Add the zest and beat until evenly distributed.