Lemony Round Roast
Carla Hall's Lemon Herb Crusted Roast Beef
- 4 pounds Top Round Roast
- 3 Lemons (zested; plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 bunch Basil (stems and leaves separated)
- 3 cloves Garlic (finely minced)
- 1 bunch Radishes (root end left in tact; halved through the root)
- 2 heads of Garlic (halved through the equator)
- 2 Fennel Bulbs (cut into wedges through the root end)
- 3 small Shallots (peeled and cut in half)
- 1 large Shallot (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 cup White Wine
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the basil stems into 1-inch pieces. In a mortar and pestle, add the lemon zest, basil stems and garlic. Add about 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Pound to a paste. Add just enough olive oil to make a wet paste, about 1 tablespoons. Stir to combine.
- Rub the roast with the basil lemon mix and let sit at room temperature to marinate for 1 hour. Lay two large pieces of foil in a roasting pan. Place the roast in the center of the foil.
- Toss the radishes, fennel, halved shallots, and heads of garlic in a bowl with a generous drizzle of olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Scatter the vegetables around the roast. Fold up the foil and seal the package well. Place in the oven. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the internal temperature is 125 to 130 degrees (for medium rare). Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing thinly.
- While the roast is resting, transfer any juices from the roast to a saute pan. Heat over medium-high. Add the chopped shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine to the pan. Add the butter and swirl the pan to emulsify while it melts. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Slice the roast thinly and then pour the sauce over the meat. Garnish with torn basil leaves and more lemon zest.