Summer's a great time to start baking. This cool and tasty dessert is just the thing to get started with.
Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches
- For the Cookie:
- 8 ounces Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Zest (finely grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour (plus more for rolling)
For the Filling:
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon Finely Grated Lemon Zest
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1/2 Gallon Vanilla Ice Cream (in cardboard carton)
- For the Cookie: Mix the butter, confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest and salt on high speed until combined. Gradually add flour. Dough will be stiff.
- Turn dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and pat into a disk, about ½ inch thick. Wrap and chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° (right before the dough is taken out of fridge).
- Lightly flour table, parchment paper or wax paper and rolling pin. Roll dough to about 1/8 inch thick. If dough cracks, allow it to warm up slightly. Cut out cookies with a 1” round cutter (reroll scraps only once; chill dough if too soft).
- Place cookies on baking sheet 1” apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges barely begin to turn brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the Filling: Prepare the filling by mixing cream cheese, lemon zest and lemon juice until smooth. Add 1 cup Confectioner’s mixing until smooth. Stir in more sugar, as necessary, to create a firm but spreadable filling. Place filling in a plastic bag and snip the corner. Squeeze about 1/2 teaspoon lemon filling onto half of the cookies. Set aside.
- Cut the ice cream, in the carton, into 1/2-inch thick bricks. Using a cookie cutter, cut 1-inch rounds out of the ice cream. Place on top of the lemon filling. Gently top with another cookie. Repeat until all the cookies are filled.
Similar categories: Desserts