The first dessert Carla fell in love with.
Carla Hall's Lemon Meringue Pie
- Carla's Pie Crust:
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 sticks Chilled Butter (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 1/3 cups Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- FLAKY PIE CRUST: Combine water, salt, and sugar in measuring cup. Stir and place cup in fridge for at least 15 min. (to chill water and to dissolve sugar and salt.) If possible, chill mixing bowl and paddle attachment if possible.
- Combine flour and butter pieces in mixing bowl. On medium speed, cut butter into flour until butter pieces are the size of small pebbles. With the mixer running, pour the water into the butter mixture. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Separate the dough into 2 disks. Wrap each with film and chill.
- Roll chilled pastry dish out to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Prick all over dough with a fork. Bake on 375 for 10-15 minutes, or until it is lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- MERINGUE FILLING: Preheat oven to 375F.
- Beat the egg yolks in a mixing bowl and set aside. Combine the water, cornstarch, salt, and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently until the mixture reaches a boil. Allow to boil for a minute, then remove from heat. Let rest a minute and then slowly temper the egg yolks.
- Once you've tempered the eggs with at least half of the sugar mixture, combine in the saucepan over low heat, while mixing in the butter, lemon juice and zest. Pour into the pie shell.
- MERINGUE: Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form, then add the sugar gradually, until stiff peaks form. Spread over the top of the filling.
- TO FINISH: Bake the pie until the meringue is golden, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.