Daphne Oz's Lentil Burger
- step-by-step directions
Daphne Oz's Lentil Burger
- For the Jalapeno Chips:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for frying)
- 3 Jalapenos (thinly sliced into coins)
- 1/4 cup Rice Flour (for dusting)
- For the Burgers:
- 1 cup Brown Rice (rinsed)
- 1 cup Brown Lentils (rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion (diced)
- 3 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons fresh Oregano Leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh Thyme leaves (torn)
- 3/4 cup canned Pinto Beans (rinsed)
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese (shredded)
- 6 Whole Wheat English Muffins (lightly toasted)
- For the Garnish:
- Avocado (sliced)
- Tomato (sliced)
- Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- Chipotle Mayo
- For the Jalapeno Chips: In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over a medium-high. Toss the jalapeno slices in the rice flour. Fry jalapenos just until crispy, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt.
- For the Burgers: Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil with a pinch of salt. Add brown rice and continue to boil, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes until rice is tender. Strain rice and return to the pot. Cover and allow to sit for 8 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pot add lentils and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium. Add the onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the cumin, oregano and thyme.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the pinto beans. Mash lightly with a potato masher (you want some of the beans whole to add texture to the burger).
- Combine the lentils, rice, and onion mixture with the bread crumbs in a large bowl. Add the beaten eggs and toss to fully incorporate. Season with salt and pepper. Form patties by gently pressing together about 1/2 cup of mixture. Make sure the patties are no larger than the buns.
- Preheat the broiler. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large oven-safe, non-stick sauté pan. Cook patties over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes on the first side until crispy. Gently flip with a spatula and sprinkle with cheese. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on the other side, then transfer pan to the preheated oven and broil until the cheese is bubbling and golden in some parts, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- For the Garnish: Place on the toasted english muffins and top with avocado, tomato and red onion. Smear bun with the chipotle mayo and serve with jalapeno chips.
Hot Italian Sausage Sandwich
Roasted Chicken with Boozy BBQ Sauce
Grilled German Potato Salad
Cleveland Baked Beans
Pea Pesto Pasta
Herbed Asparagus Frittata with Pea Shoot Salad
Striped Bass with Endive and Spring Onions
Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee
Poule au Pot
Braised Lamb with Spring Vegetables