Daphne Oz's Light Sausage Lasagna
- 1 pound fresh Pasta Sheets (thinly rolled)
- 2 medium Zucchini (shaved)
- 1 pound Spicy Italian Sausage (casings removed)
- 1 large Onion (halved and sliced)
- 3 cloves Garlic (sliced)
- 1/2 bunch Asparagus (cut into 1/4-inch thick coins)
- 2 cups Marinara
- 2 cups Basil Pesto
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano (grated)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F. Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil and season generously with salt. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
- Blanch the pasta sheets, 3 to 4 at a time in the seasoned water for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and cool in the ice bath. Lay onto a sheet tray with parchment in between the layers to prevent sticking. Repeat with the remaining pasta.
- Place zucchini ribbons in a colander and sprinkle lightly with salt. Set aside over a plate while making the sauce to allow the zucchini to release it's water.
- In a large sauté pan, add a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage break up into small pieces with a wooden spoons. Sauté until dark brown, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the sausage to a plate and set aside. Add the sliced onions to the sausage drippings, cooking until soft. Add the asparagus and cook until slightly softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the marinara and the sausage back into the pan and stir to combine, cooking until warmed through.
- Begin to build lasagna by greasing a 9x9 baking dish with olive oil. Layer a few sheets of pasta to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread a layer of the sausage mixture and sprinkle with parmigiano reggiano. Layer zucchini strips over the sausage mixture, and spread a layer of pesto over the zucchini. Repeat layers until all of the ingredients have been used, ending with a layer of sprinkled parmigiano reggiano.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until melted and golden brown. Cool slightly before slicing and serving. Serve with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano.