Bobby Deen grew up with a creamy and fatty mac and cheese that his mom makes. Now as an adult he still wants the pasta dish, but not all the extra calories. So, he created this tasty and lighter version.
Lighter Cheesy Mac
- 4 cups cooked multigrain elbow macaroni (drained)
- 2 cups reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- After the macaroni has been boiled and drained, add cheese while macaroni is still hot.
- Combine the milk, eggs, sour cream, mustard, salt, and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add to macaroni mixture. Pour into casserole dish.
- Combine bread crumbs and oil in a small bowl until blended. Evenly sprinkle the crumb mixture over the macaroni and lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- Bake, until the filling is hot and the topping is golden, 35 – 40 minutes.