One of Mario's favorite recipes!
Mario Batali's Linguine with Clams
- 2 tablespoons Kosher Salt
1 lb Linguine
4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 cloves Garlic (thinly sliced)
1 lb New Zealand Cockles (or 24 Manila or Littleneck Clams) scrubbed
1 tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
1 cup Dry White Wine
1/2 bunch Italian
- In a large pot over medium high heat, combine 8 quarts of water to boil and salt.
- In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add garlic and sauté until just golden, about 30 seconds. Add clams and red pepper flakes and saute 1 minute. Add wine and cook uncovered, just until clams open, 4-5 minutes.
- Add linguine to boiling water and cook to 1 minute short of al dente according to package directions (pasta should still be quite firm).
- Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water, then drain linguine and add to pan. Cook over high heat, tossing occasionally, until linguine is just tender, about 1 minute. If necessary, add some reserved cooking water to keep moist. Remove from heat. Add parsley, tossing to coat. Transfer to dish and serve immediately.