Daphne Oz's Loaded Veggie Dawg
Veggie-Topped Hot Dogs
Loaded Veggie Dawg Recipe: Classic hot dogs get a lift from spicy ketchup sauce and pickled vegetables.
- 6 Hot Dogs (butterflied lengthwise)
- 6 Whole Wheat Hot Dog Buns (toasted and scooped out)
- For the Toppings:
- Pickled Carrots and Daikon
- 1/2 Hot House Cucumber (cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 bunch fresh Mint
- 1 Jalapeno (thinly sliced; optional)
- For the Pickled Carrots and Daikon:
- sliced Radishes to serve
- 2 Carrots (Peeled and grated)
- 1 Daikon Radish (peeled and grated)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons White Vinegar
- For the Spicy Ketchup:
- 1/4 cup Sriracha Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- sliced Scallions to serve
Daphne's Loaded Veggie Dawg
6 Hot Dogs (butterflied lengthwise)
6 Whole Wheat Hot Dog Buns (toasted and scooped out)
Pickled Carrots and Daikon
1/2 Hot House Cucumber (cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced)
1/2 bunch fresh Mint
1 Jalapeno (thinly sliced; optional)
Heat a griddle over medium high. Make sure the griddle is well seasoned or oiled lightly. Place the hot dogs cut side down and cook for 1 minute just until crispy. Flip and cook on the second side for 1 more minute. Remove and place on the bun cut side up. Serve with your choice of toppings and spicy ketchup.
sliced Radishes to serve
2 Carrots (Peeled and grated)
1 Daikon Radish (peeled and grated)
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
2 tablespoons White Vinegar
For the Pickled Carrots and Daikon: Combine the ingredients in a bowl and toss to coat. Transfer to a colander and place over the bowl. Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes to pickle.
Squeeze out excess liquid and place in a jar until ready to use. Can be made a few days in advance and stored in the fridge.
1/4 cup Sriracha Hot Sauce
1 tablespoon Ketchup
1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
sliced Scallions to serve
For the Spicy Ketchup: Stir together the ingredients until combined. Adjust hot sauce to taste.
1. Daphne's lightened-up hot dog is inspired by a Banh Mi Sandwich, which is a Vietnamese snack consisting of a baguette hollowed-out and filled with a variety of ingredients, including: meat, pickled vegetables, and chili peppers.
2. Pickling your own veggies is easy. All you need is vinegar, salt and sugar.