Make the summertime favorite yourself!
Mario Batali's Lobster Rolls
- For the Fresh Mayo:
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice and zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce (a couple dashes or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
For the Lobsters:
- 2 lobsters (steamed or boiled with the meat picked out)
- 8 split top hot dog rolls
- 2 stalks of celery (small dice)
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 cup homemade mayo
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- butter to brush griddle
- For the Fresh Mayo: In a bowl, mix the egg yokes and lemon juice and zest. Then drizzle in the oil slowly while whisking vigorously to emulsify the oil into the egg. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add mustard and hot sauce and combine thoroughly.
- If the mayo doesn’t come together or the emulsification is broken it can be saved by putting a teaspoon of water in a fresh clean bowl slowly whisking in the broken mayo until it recombines.
- For the Lobsters: Roughly chop the lobster meat and add to a bowl with the celery, celery salt, and fresh mayo. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix gently with a rubber spatula to combine. Preheat griddle to medium high. Brush the griddle with butter. Toast the roll on both sides and fill with the lobster salad.