A great way to change up your mac n' cheese and give it something special!
Mac n' Cheese Stuffed Poblanos
- 1/2 Lb Whole Wheat Elbow Macaroni
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 Onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese (grated)
- 8 Poblano Peppers
- 2 tablepsoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Cornbread (crumbled)
- Preheat broiler.
- Lightly coat the poblanos in oil and broil for 10 minutes, rotating the peppers through the cooking process, allowing the skin to blister on all sides. Transfer to a plastic bag and allow them to steam. Once cooled, peel the skin off of the peppers and cut a slit in the side and carefully remove the seeds and veins through the slit.
- Cook the pasta as per package instructions.
- Heat the butter over medium heat in a saute pan until it foams and subsides. Add the onion and spread into an even layer and cook slowly. Lower the heat to medium-low and allow the onions to caramelize, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the onion and then add the milk and stir to mix. Allow to thicken slightly for about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Fold in the cheese and cook until melted completely, then add the noodles, and stir to mix until incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a sheettray with parchment. Stuff some of the mac and cheese mixture into each of the poblano peppers, and arrange on the parchment lined sheet tray. Sprinkle with the crumbled cornbread and bake for 10 minutes or until the cornbread is crisp.