Give you boring chicken dinner a kick!
Mario Batali's Spicy Coffee Coated Drumsticks
- 12 Chicken Drumsticks
- Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Strong Coffee
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon Tabasco Sauce preferably chipotle
- 1 tablespoon Fennel Seeds (lightly crushed in a spice or coffee grinder)
- 2 tablespoon Black Pepper (freshly ground)
- 2 tablespoon Dark Roast Coffee (finely ground)
- 2 Fennel Bulbs
- 4 ounce Gorgonzola Dolce
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the drumsticks on a baking sheet and season all over with salt. Bake unadorned for 20 minutes (25 minutes if your drumsticks are very large).
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the coffee, the buttermilk, Tabasco sauce, fennel seeds, black pepper and finely ground coffee. Set a wire rack over a large plate or a small baking sheet.
- As soon as the drumsticks come out of the oven, toss them, in batches, into the coffee-buttermilk mixture and turn to coat, then place skin side up on the rack to drain. Spoon a little of the mixture, with the fennel seeds and pepper, over the top of each one, and set aside. (The drumsticks can be baked and marinated up to a day ahead; leave them on the rack, cover, and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before grilling.)
- Preheat a gas grill or prepare a fire in a charcoal grill.
- Trim the fennel bulbs, cut lengthwise in half, and cut out most of the core. Cut into 1/4-inch-wide batonettes and toss into a bowl of ice water.
- Crumble the Gorgonzola into a small bowl and mash with a fork. Add the red wine vinegar and stir with the fork until fairly smooth. Drizzle in the oil, stirring, to make a dressing. Pour into one or more shallow bowls for dipping.
- Place the drumsticks on the hottest part of the grill, cover the grill, and cook, turning occasionally at first and then more often as they start to caramelize, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Put the drumsticks on a platter. Drain the fennel sticks, pat dry, and plate with the chicken and the dipping sauce.