For Sunday dinner or the holidays, it's so tasty you'll want to eat it year-round!
- step-by-step directions
- Bone-in pork loin roast (6-7 pounds, bones "frenched")
- 24 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fennel pollen
- 4 large Spanish onions (sliced)
- 2 fennel bulbs (sliced, fronds reserved and chopped)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus more)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Make six 3-inch-deep incisions along the bones, and stuff 2 garlic cloves into each incision. Season the pork aggressively all over with salt. Then, sprinkle with fennel pollen and rub the roast to coat well. Rub the pollen into the incisions as well.
- Line the bottom of a large roasting pan with the sliced onions and fennel. Smash the remaining garlic cloves into a paste and add to the roasting pan. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Add 2 cups of milk and 1/2 a cup of olive oil to the pan. Place the pork roast on top of the vegetables with the bones pointing down. Pour the rest of the milk over the roast. Place the pan in the oven to roast for 65 to 75 minutes, or until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 145ºF.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place the pork roast on a carving board.
- Meanwhile, Transfer half of the cooked onions and fennel, and all of the drippings and liquid, to a blender and blend for about 30 seconds. With the motor running, drizzle in a couple tablespoons of olive oil and blend until the sauce is smooth and thick. If it seems a bit thick, simply add warm water, about 1/4 cup at a time, until it is thin enough to pour. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the remaining onions and fennel in a pile on a warmed platter. Carve the pork roast off the bone. Slice the meat into 1/2-inch-thick slices and arrange them over the roasted vegetables. Pour some of the sauce over the meat. Garnish with some fennel fronds. Pass the rest of the sauce in a gravy boat.
- Tip: If you can't find fennel pollen, substitute with ground fennel or anise seed.
Similar categories: Ingredients Pork Courses & Meals Dinner Pork Holidays & Occasions Christmas Christmas Main Dishes Cuisine Italian
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami