Fill Up on This Hearty Meal!
Beef Braciole With Potato Salad
- 2 pounds eye of beef round (sliced into thin scallops, about 4 x 6 inches)
- 12 sage leaves
- 1 orange
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 pounds red New potatoes (cut in half)
- 1 medium red onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup basil (chopped)
- 4 scallions (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the Braciole: Preheat the grill or broiler to high heat. Lay the beef out on a clean work surface. Season each slice with salt and pepper. Place 2 sage leaves, orange zest (1 swipe on the grater per piece) and a sprinkling of grated cheese on top of each slice. Roll up each piecelike a jelly roll, starting from a short side and secure seam with toothpicks. Season the stuffed meat rolls with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Grill or broil the meat rolls, turning once, until the beef is medium-rare, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board to rest for 5-10 minutes. Remove toothpicks. Slice and serve braciole with a squeeze of fresh orange juice from the remaining orange. Serve alongside potato salad.
- For the Potato Salad: In a large saucepan or pot, cover potatoes with cold water by an inch. Season water with salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well in a colander. Add the potatoes to a large bowl, along with the onion, celery, basil, scallions, capers, fennel seeds and caraway seeds. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.