Fill Up on This Hearty Meal!
Mario Batali's Beef Braciole With Potato Salad
- 3 pounds small red potatoes cut in half
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons caper (the best come from Pantellaria)
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds eye of round sliced into thin scallops (About 4 x 6 inches)
- Salt and pepper
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- 4 scallions
- ¼ cup grated pecorino Romano
- 6 wooden skewers
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- 1 orange
- For the potato salad: In a large saucepan, cover potatoes with cold water by an inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are just cooked through, about 16 minutes. (They’ll continue cooking a bit after you remove them from the pot.) Drain well in a colander and let cool, gently turning the potatoes with a rubber spatula to allow the bottom ones to cool as well.
- Add the onion, celery,parsley, scallions, basil, caraway seeds, and salt and pepper to taste.
- NOTE: For potato salad use one part vinegar for every two parts oil. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and the salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and gently toss. NOTE: Always dress potatoes when they are warm and don't put the salad in the fridge. It will make the potatoes mealy.
- For the Beef Braciole:Preheat the grill or broiler.
- If needed pound the meat.
- Lay the beef out on a work surface. Season each slice with salt and pepper and then place 2 sage leaves and a sprinkling of grated cheese on top of each slice. Roll up, starting from a short side and close with toothpicks. Brush the meat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. NOTE: Mario oiled the pan not the meat.
- Grill or broil, turning once, until the beef is cooked medium-rare, about 3 minutes per side. when done, squueze the juice of the orange on it and serve with potato salad.