Mario Batali puts a spooky spin on your everyday dinner.
Chicken and Blood Sausage
- 2 chickens cut into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil, or as needed
- 1/2 pound blood sausage (cut into one-inch pieces)
- 10 garlic cloves (peeled and chopped fine)
- 4 pickled cherry peppers (cut in half and stemmed)
- 1/2 pound new potatoes (halved)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley (freshly chopped)
- In dutch oven, brown chicken and sausage in batches, about 8 mins per batch. Remove the chicken pieces and set aside.
- Remove all chicken and sausage from the dutch oven, add the garlic and cook until golden, being careful not to burn it. Scatter the cherry peppers, season with salt and pepper and stir for a minute. Pour in the vinegar and bring to boil, scraping the browned bits that stick to the skillet into the liquid and cook until the vinegar is reduced by half. Add the white wine, bring to a boil and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Add chicken and sausage to dutch oven and add potatoes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick and sticky, like molasses, about 10 minutes. Once the sauce is thickened, toss in parsley and serve.