Though this cool dessert is amazing, you???d never find it on a menu in Italy, where they are smart enough to leave the perfect fruit alone. But I could not resist gilding the alleged lily.
Fresh Watermelon with Cool Citrus Mascarpone
- 1 orange
- 2 lemons
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 pound watermelon
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Zest the orange, lemons, and grapefruit, then use a sharp knife to cut off any remaining peel and pith.
- Cut between the membranes to free the individual segments, working over a bowl to catch the juices.
- Reserve the segments and juice separately.
- Halve the watermelon lengthwise.
- Using a melon baller, cut the melon into balls and place in a shallow serving bowl.
- Add the reserved fruit juices and set aside.
- In a blender, mix the mascarpone, fruit zests, and the sugar until smooth.
- The mixture should be as thick as yogurt; if necessary, thin with a little water.
- Drizzle the mascarpone over watermelon balls and sprinkle the fruit segments over and serve cool.