We gave Mario Batali a bunch of different, random ingredients....this is what he came up with.
Grilled Sausage and Orzo with Cauliflower and Butternut Squash.
- 1 log store bought beef sausage
- 2 slices grilled peasant bread
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cauliflower (chopped)
- ½ cup shaved butternut squash
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup orzo
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup thinly sliced sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup green apple cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Whole grain mustard
- Cut the sausage into rings and place on a grill or grill pan over medium high heat, cook for 2 minutes per side.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and the cauliflower and cook over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the butternut squash and the orzo, and toss to combine. Add the chicken broth and simmer, stirring often.
- Bring 1 cup of chicken stock to a simmer and add the sweet potatoes. Cook until tender, about 1 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the apples, molasses, red wine vinegar, and the olive oil and toss to combine.
- Grill bread
- Place the grilled bread on a platter and top with the cauliflower and orzo. Add the sweet potatoes and top with the sausage. Place the apple salad over the sausage and serve. Add mustard if you like.