Can't figure out what to make for dinner? This chicken dish has it all -- a healthy salad, a smooth tapanade and flavorful chicken.
Grilled Chicken in Tapenade With Fennel Salad
- 6 Anchovy Fillets soaked in Milk overnight
- 2 tablespoon Anchovy Paste
- 1 cup Pitted Black Olives
- 1/4 cup Capers (roughly chopped)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 3 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 1/2 + 5 tablespoons cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 bulb Fennel (thinly sliced)
- Zest and segments of 1 Orange
- 1 lb Arugula Leaves
- 3 tablespoons White or Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cups Shaved Fennel Salad (made from above)
- 3/4 cup Tapenade (made from above)
- 2 teaspoon Fresh chopped Thyme Leaves (or 1 tsp dry)
- 2 teaspoon Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 6 attached Chicken Thighs
- 2 cloves Garlic
- To make Tapenade: Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth, homogeneous paste is formed, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a jar, cover tightly, and store in the refrigerator up to 6 weeks. Makes 2 cups.
- To make Fennel Salad: Mix fennel, orange zest and supremes, arugula leaves, red/white wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, salt & pepper together. Mario tip: if you don't like fennel use cabbage.
- Preheat the grill or broiler.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix ½ cup of tapenade, ¾ cup of the oil, the thyme, pepper, and red pepper flakes until well blended.
- Debone your chicken. Add chickens and toss to coat.
- Place the chicken skin side up on the grill, 8 to 10 inches from coals. If using broiler, start skin side toward the heat 5 to 6 inches from heat source. In either case, cook slowly about 15 to 20 minutes per side until skin is crisp and brown and juices run clear when bird is pricked with a sharp knife at thickest part of thigh. Set aside and keep warm. Mario tip: if you would like to grill the chicken more quickly you can weigh them down with an aluminum covered brick.
- Heat the remaining olive oil and sliced garlic over medium heat until the garlic is lightly browned. Add the fennel salad and toss until well heated but not browned. Season with salt and pepper and arrange on 4 plates. Place each pair of attached chicken legs over the fennel salad on each plate. Spoon 1 tablespoon tapenade over each half and serve immediately.